Today is Day 72 of the Papa’s Walk Challenge.
As I left my home for a walk, I was assaulted by the sound of a jack-hammer being used by a water department crew to repair sewer pipelines. I turned the corner and had to dodge the leaves, dust, and dirt being blown into the street by a gardener with a deafening leaf blower.
Once I got past the leaf blower the real wind kicked up and I listened to the sound of leaves rustling in the trees above me.
I also heard a father talking with his little girl, someone talking on a cell phone, a man watering his front lawn with a garden hose, cars driving down the street, and the sound of brakes screeching.
Here is a list of the other sounds I heard:
(Note: Click on the links to hear the sounds they make.)
- A car door open and close
- A man using a sand blaster
- Leaves crunching underfoot
- A variety of bird sounds
- A squirrel scrambling up a tree
- A water fountain in a courtyard garden
- A train whistle
- A small airplane flying overhead
- A commercial jet flying overhead
- The whir of a speed jump rope as a woman exercised in her front yard
On almost every block I encountered a leaf blower or lawn mower, and as I neared home I passed a tree trimmer using a thunderous wood chopper.
What do you hear on your walks?